The Initiative for Better and Humane Inclusion (IBHI) is registered at the BiH level, and its work is based on the results and activities of the Independent Bureau for Humanitarian Issues. Through numerous projects, IBHI has focused its activities on the fulfilment of these goals:
- Producing studies, analyses and reports in the field of human development, the NGO sector, social policy and gender,
- Strengthening and capacity building of institutions within the governmental and non-governmental sector for policy development;
- Supporting municipalities and public institutions in capacity building for planning and policy development, in particular in the field of social policy.
- Capacity building of local NGO’s with aims to improve their sustainability, including advisory services and technical support to local authorities and NGO sector regarding to policy development issues;
- Improvement of the return process.
IBHI also dedicates a lot of its activities to the research of human development, social exclusion and poverty, reforms of social protection in all levels of government and the creation of favourable conditions for its self-sustainability, as well as to the development and support to the creation of a sustainable civil society in BiH.
IBHI has published over 70 publications (studies, analyses, reports) regarding human rights, social inclusion and poverty, the local NGO sector, social policy and social protection reforms, gender equality, etc. It has also, through presentations and papers, taken part in over 30 international conferences.
In 2009, IBHI received two international awards from UNDP and OECD for „excellence in measurement“ for the development of an original methodology for measurement of social exclusion in UNDP/IBHI; NHDR „Social Inclusion in BiH – 2007“.
During its activities, IBHI has established cooperation with UN organisations, such as: UNDP, UNHCR, UNICEF, UNIFEM, UNOPS, World Bank, OHCHR, as well as with governments of Finland, Netherlands, Italy, Switzerland, Great Britain; Multilateral and bilateral government organisations – DFID, OSCE, SDC, USAID; international non-governmental organisations – OSI, CARE, IRC, OXFAM, World Vision, Save the Children UK, BTD, TIRI; consulting firms - Birks-Sinclair & Associates Ltd (UK), KEK-CDC (Switzerland), LSE, Helsinki Consulting Group, Triple Line, etc. IBHI has established partnerships with local institutions in BiH, and cooperates closely with state ministries, as well as entity, canton and municipal authorities, BiH universities and other independent research institutions and companies. It also maintains very successful cooperation with local NGOs and other organisations implementing activities at the level of local communities.
The IBHI main office is located in Sarajevo. Field offices are located in Banja Luka (RS head office) and Travnik. Dr. Žarko Papić is the Director of IBHI.